Traditional Maharashtrian goda masala recipe with spice mix.
SERVES : 4
PREP&COOK TIME : 30 mins
- 8 tbsp coriander seeds
- 6 tbsp Dry Coconut
- 7 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 3 tbsp stone flower
- ½ tbsp Poppy seeds
- 4-5 dry red chilies
- 3 tsp niger seeds
- 1 tsp nag kesar
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 25 Cloves
- 4-5 pieces cinnamon
- 4 black cardamom husk discarded
- 5-6 green cardamom
- 7-8 bay leaves
- 3-4 Star Anise
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp asafoedita
- 2 tsp Oil
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan.
- Add coriander seeds. Stir and roast them till they become fragrant and change color. Remove in a plate.
- Then add cumin seeds, stir and roast them till they are fragrant and change color. Remove in the same plate.
- Next add caraway seeds and follow the same procedure.
- Now add the niger seeds and roast them till they become fragrant.
- Add sesame seeds. Roast till they change color.
- Once done, then like all the other roasted ingredients, remove and keep aside in the same plate.
- Roast the desiccated coconut till they are golden. Remove in the same plate.
- Add the poppy seeds and roast till they are fragrant. Keep aside.
- Add the broken dry red chilies and roast till they have a smoky pungent fragrance.
- Add asafetida and dry roast till they get fragrant. Remove.
- Again heat 1 teaspoon oil in the same pan. Now add all the aromatic spices – cinnamon, bay leaf, black pepper, star anise, cloves, black cardamom seeds, green cardamom, saffron and stone flower. Roast for about a minute till the spices become aromatic.
- Let all the spices and the rest of the other ingredients cool.
- In a dry grinder, grind everything in batches.
- Take the ground goda masala in a bowl and mix everything well.
- Store the goda masala in an airtight jar.
The masala can be stored either at room temperature or in the refrigerator as welL visit more recipes