Vegetable Upma is a kidney-friendly dish typically served at breakfast, but your family will love this grain-vegetable dish at lunch or dinner too.
SERVES : 2
PREP&COOK TIME : 25 mins
- 1 cup rava / semolina
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup peas
- 1 cup mixed vegetables chopped (carrots, potatoes and beans)
- 2 green chillies (adjust to taste)
- 1 piece Ginger grated
- a few curry leaves
- ½ tsp urad dal / uluntham paruppu / uzhunnu parippu
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds / Kaduku
- A few roasted cashewnuts to garnish (optional)
- coriander leaves chopped, for garnish
- 2 tsp Oil
- salt to taste
Dry roast the rava in a pan until it turns a light brown (about 7-10 mins).
Transfer to a bowl when done and set aside to cool.
Heat oil in the same pan and add the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. When the dal turns golden brown and the mustard seeds splutter, add the onions, green chillies and ginger. Fry for 4-5 mins until the onions turns golden brown.
Now add the peas and vegetables. Mix well. Add about 3 cups water and cook closed until the vegetables turn soft.
Open, add salt and mix well. Then lower fire to sim and add the roasted rava little at a time, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Continue to cook and stir for another 5 mins.
Remove and serve hot with vegetable sambar and coconut chutney.