Daintily sweet, semi spiced, tangy and a tasty sambar made with pigeon pea lentils and mixed vegetables.
SERVES : 4
PREP&COOK TIME : 50 mins
for the sambar
- ½–⅔ cup tuvar dal/pigeon pea lentils
- 5–6 sambar onions/shallots or 1 medium sized onion quartered (optional)
- 1 carrot peeled & chopped
- ½ cup lauki/bottle gourd or opo squash chopped
- 2–3 small brinjals quartered
- 1–2 inch drumsticks peeled and cut into 3 or 4pieces
- 1 medium sized tomato diced
- 6–7 Curry Leaves
- 1 cup lemon sized ball of tamarind soaked in ½water — approx 1.5 tbsp of tamarind
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1–2 tsp jaggery or as required
- Salt as required
for sambar powder
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- ¼ tsp fenugreek/methi seeds
- a pinchof asafoetida/hing
- 3–4 dry red chilies
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut or desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Red chilies
- a pinch generousof asafoetida
- 8–10 Curry Leaves
- 1–1.5 tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
- leaves some corianderfor garnish optional
preparing the sambar powder
- dry roast only the spices for sambar powder.
- when cooled, grind to a fine paste with some water along with grated coconut.
preparing the sambar
- pressure cook tuvar dal with 2.5 cups water with a pinch of turmeric, in 2 or 3 cups water.
- when the dal is cooked and soft, mash the dal with a wired whisk or a spoon.
- keep aside.
- in another pan, mix the chopped veggies, 1.5 or 2 cups water, turmeric powder, salt and cook till the veggies are almost done.
- add the mashed dal to the veggies.
- stir and add the tamarind pulp followed by the sambar masala paste.
- if required you can add some water.
- add the jaggery also and stir.
- simmer for some 10–12 minutes or more, till the raw aroma of the tamarind has disappeared and the whole flavors in the sambar have merged with each other.
- taste and if required add salt.
preparing the tempering
- heat oil.
- first splutter the mustard seeds.
- then add the red chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- fry for some seconds and pour the tempering mixture in the sambar.
- cover the sambar pan with a lid for a few minutes, so that the tempering flavors gets mixed with the sambar.
- serve the udipi sambar with idli, dosa or steamed rice.