Thalapakattu Biryani is a popular rice dish in India. This is famous for its spicy taste, rich aroma and strong flavor.
SERVES : 4
PREP&COOK TIME : 50 mins.
- 1/2 kg Mutton /Chicken
- 3 cup Seeraga Samba Rice
- 2 tbsp Seeraga Samba Rice
- 2 tbsp Homemade Ghee
- 2 large onion sliced thinly
- 3 slit chopped Green chillies
- 2 large tomatoes chopped finely
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder / Malli Podi
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup Mint leaves chopped
- 4.5 cup Water
For Biryani Spice Powder:
- 4 stick cinnamon stick
- 1.5 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf
- 5 Mace / Javitri
- 5 piece Kalpaasi / Black Stone Flower
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam
- Cloves / Krambu
- 5 Cardamom / Yelakai
- 1 Star Anise
Wash Seeraga Samba rice well in water, take the whole spices in blender and powder it coarsely. Set aside.
Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker. Add in onions and green chillies. Saute it till it gets golden.
Add in tomatoes and toss well.Add in ginger garlic paste and saute for a min.
Add in salt, turmeric, chilli powder and coriander powder. Toss well for 30 sec.
Add in the fresh powder which you made. Mix well.
Add in mutton and mix well. Add in 1 cup of water, cover and pressure cook it for 7 to 8 whistle. Simmer for 15 mins. Turn the heat off, let the pressure go all by itself.
Open the cooker and check if there is lots of water.If so put it back on stove and heat till it is reduced.
Once it is reduced, add in rice and mix well.
Add in 4.5 Cup of water, bring it to boil, simmer it and pressure cook it for 1 whistle. Then simmer it for 5 mins. Turn the heat off and fluff with a fork.
Serve with raita.