Malvani Mutton Curry is a highly popular dish throughout the Konkan region. It is similar to Murgh Malvani except that the spices are slightly different.
Serves : 4
Pre&Cook Time : 1 hour.
- Mutton cut into1 inch cubes on the bone750 grams
- Oil 5 tablespoons
- Onions finely sliced4 medium
- Coriander seeds 3 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds 3/4 teaspoon
- Caraway seeds (shahi jeera) 3/4 teaspoon
- Black peppercorns 7–8
- Cloves 6–8
- Green cardamoms 6
- Black cardamoms 4
- Poppy seeds (khuskhus/posto) 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Dried coconut ( khopra) grated3/4 cup
- Dried red chillies 12
- Turmeric powder 3/4 teaspoon
- Garlic paste 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Ginger paste 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add onions and saute for 3–4 minutes.
- Meanwhile dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, caraway seeds, black peppercorns, cloves, green cardamoms and black cardamoms on low heat till fragrant.
- Add mutton to the cooker and saute on high heat till well browned.
- Add poppy seeds and dried coconut to the other roasting spices and continue to roast. Add dried red chillies and roast till lightly browned.
- Add turmeric powder, garlic paste and ginger paste to mutton and mix well and continue to saute.
- Transfer the roasted ingredients into a mixer jar and grind finely and add to the mutton in the cooker. Add 2 cups water and salt and mix well. Close the cooker and cook till 5–6 whistles are given out.
- Open the lid of the cooker when the pressure reduces completely and serve hot with rice or roti or chapatti.