Chana sundal is a south indian stir fried dish made with white chickpeas. sundal is basically a dry legume-lentil preparation spiced, tempered along with fresh coconut.
Serves : 3
Prep&Cook Time : 38 mins.
- ½ cup kala chana or black chickpeas
- 2.5 to 3 cups water for pressure cooking the black chickpeas
- ¾ tsp black mustard seeds
- ¾ tsp urad dal/spilt & skinned black gram
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 dry red chili, kept whole or halved & deseeded
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
- 1 to 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- 10 to 12 curry leaves/kadi patta
- few drops of lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or peanut oil
- rock salt as required
- Soak the kala Chana or black chickpeas overnight.
- Next day, in the same soaked water, cook the chana in a pressure cooker till they are completely cooked. add more water if required in the cooker.
- Add salt too when cooking the chana. then strain the kala chana and keep aside.
- Don’t drain the stock. it is rich in nutrients and can be used for making chapatis or added to breads, curries and even dals.
- Heat oil in a pan. add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- The mustard seeds will crackle and the urad dal will get browned.
- They almost take the same time to cook on a low flame.
- Immediately, add the curry leaves, red chilies and asafoetida. fry for 10-15 seconds.
- Now add the cooked black channa and salt. stir and saute for 4-5 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- switch off the flame and add the coconut. sprinkle the lemon juice. stir well.
- Serve the black chana sundal as prashad or naivedyam.
Visit : https://www.hungryforever.com/kala-chana-sundal-recipe/