Karasev is a very popular snack and is very easy to prepare. When my mother came to stay with me a few months back, she did this karasev for the blog. I asked her as she is an expert in it. Her recipe is very simple and also fool proof. This post was waiting for a very long time.
Serves : 4
Prep&Cook Time : 40 mins.
- Besan Flour (Kadala Maavu) — 2 and 1/2 cups
- Rice flour (Idiyappam flour) — 1 cup
- Red Chilli Powder — 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper — 1 tsp
- Ghee — 2 and 1/2 tsp
- Crushed garlic (optional) — 2 pearls finely chopped or made into a paste
- Oil — to deep fry
- Salt — to taste
For the Kara Sev with soft texture
- Besan Flour (Kadala Maavu)- 3/4 cup
- Pottukadalai (Split Roast Gram Dal) powdered — 1/4 cup (Just powder it , no need to roast)
- Ghee — 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste — 1 tsp
- Black pepper — 1 tsp coarsely powdered
- Salt — to taste
- Oil — for deep frying
- First powder pepper coarsely, set aside. In a mixing bowl add besan flour, rice flour, ghee, chilli powder, powdered pepper, garlic finely chopped and salt. Mix well first then add water little by little to form a dough — it will be sticky. — Dont make it a stiff dough then pressing will be very difficult.
- Fill the murukku press with the dough and press it in hot oil. Do not make it crowded, just press circles around with large gaps. Do not make layers like we make for murukku. Fry in medium flame till golden brown, turn over to cook on both sides evenly. Drain in tissue paper, break it roughly into pieces. Cool down completely and then store in airtight container.
- To check if the batter is in correct consistency: First take a spoon and dip the backside of the spoon into batter and hold it on top of the preheated oil. If it drops as perfect rounds, then the batter is perfect.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy munching the snack!
- You can do it the actual way of rubbing the dough through a big ladle which has tiny holes as in the original recipe.
- When filling the dough in portions, keep the dough covered with a wet cloth so that it doesn’t get dry. In case if it gets dry for the last few batches, just sprinkle only little water, mix once to make it moist.
- Also chop the garlic very finely or make it a paste, else it will get stuck while pressing. But the garlic flavour was great so don’t skip.