Ridge gourd chutney is one of the easiest spiced healthy dip made with few ingredients.You can skip onions if you do not want to add it. Ridge gourd tastes so delicious that it goes well with white rice.
Peerkangai known as ridge gourd has a mild sweet taste by itself.We have added coconut in this Peerkangai Chutney.
Serves : 4
Prep&Cook Time : 25 mins.
- Ridge Gourd — 2 cups chopped
- Pearl onion (small onion)-10–12
- Green chillies -3–4
- Tomato -1 medium size
- Oil — 1 tbsp
- Salt needed
- For the seasoning
- Oil — 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Urad dal -1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves — a sprig
- Heat oil, saute pearl onions until they turn transparent. (If the onions are big, cut it into 2–3 pieces).
- Add green chillies, ridge gourd, tomatoes, salt needed and cook until the ridge gourd turns soft. Leave it to cool.
- Grind it to a slightly coarse paste.
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal and curry leaves. When dal turns golden brown, add the seasoning to the chutney.
- Serve with idli, dosa or chapati.
- It can be kept in fridge and can be used for 2–3 days.