This flavourful Chutney Podi is sure to make you gobble up an extra idli or two! Mixed with til oil, this Chutney Podi makes an exciting accompaniment to hot idlis and dosas. When packing idlis in the lunch box or for a journey, you can coat them with a mixture of Chutney Podi and til oil to make sure they remain moist and soft. Having absorbed all the flavours of the powder, the idlis will taste even better than fresh, hot ones! You can even use this aromatic powder to season upmas and dry subzis to make them more appealing.
Prep&Cook Time : 30 mins.
- 1/4 cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 1/4 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1/4 cup grated dry coconut (kopra)
- 1 tsp coconut oil or any other refined
- 7 to 8 dry whole dry kashmiri red chillies, broken into pieces
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tbsp grated jaggery (gur)
- 1 tbsp tamarind (imli)
- 7 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- salt to taste
- Combine the chana dal, urad dal and coconut in a pan and dry roast on a slow flame till they release a pleasant aroma, while stirring continuously (approx. 10 to 12 minutes). Remove and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in the same pan, add the red chillies and asafoetida and sauté for few seconds.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients together except the salt and blend in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Store in an air-tight container and use as required.