Poha chivda is very common and popular crunchy snack in india. Poha chivda is low fat snack and you can along with tea or any time. You can make this snack during festival like Diwali.
Serves : 4
Prep&Cook Time : 25 mins.
- 1 cup red or white poha
- ½ cup peanuts
- ½ cup roasted chana
- ½ cup cashews
- ¼ cup dry coconut slices (chopped)
- 2 tbsp golden raisins
- 10-12 curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- a generous pinch of asafetida
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp oil for tempering
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Rinse the curry leaves, cashews and raisins.
- Dry them in a clean kitchen towel.
- Heat oil for deep-frying in a wok.
- Take a fine sieve with a handle.
- Place half of the poha or rice flakes in it.
- Immerse the sieve with the poha in the medium hot oil and fry till they expand and become crisp. Don’t brown them.
- Remove the fried poha on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Place the sieve on a dry plate.
- Add the remaining poha in it and again keep the sieve with the poha in the hot oil and fry till they are crisp.
- Drain them in the same plate.
- Next add the chana dal in the sieve and fry them for some seconds till they become crisp. Drain on another plate.
- In the same way fry the peanuts, cashew nuts, raisins, coconut slices and curry leaves.
- Keep all of them separately in a same plate or in separate plates or bowls, lined with paper towels.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in another pan.
- First add the mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then add the cumin and sesame seeds. Let the sesame seeds pop and change color.
- Turn the stove off. Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, and asafetida.
- Stir and now add sugar and salt.
- Turn the stove on and add all the fried ingredients – poha, peanuts, raisins, cashews and chana dal. Stir well.
- Crush the fried and crisp curry leaves and add them to the mixture.
- Stir well and roast for 2-3 minutes on a low flame. Continue to stir in between.
- Check the taste and then add more salt or sugar or red chili powder if required.
- Let the chivda mixture cool.
Store the chivda mixture in an air tight container.