Tomato Thokku is a great sidedish for idli, dosa, chapathi and even for rice.It goes well with pretty much everything, next to podi we love such thokku varieties to store as it helps when you are busy during the morning hours to make an elaborate breakfast. We can store this tomato thokku in an air-tight container and refrigerater.we just season and saute the onions and then add this yummy tomato thokku and prepare instant tomato rice.
Serves : 3
Prep&Cook Time : 40 mins.
- 4 ripe red tomatoes
- 1 tsp tamarind – seeds removed ( you could use tamarind paste)
- ½ inch chopped ginger/adrak
- 1 tsp urad dal
- ½ tsp mustard seeds/rai
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 red chili
- 10-12 curry leaves chopped or whole
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ tsp chili powder ( I used less amount, use more if you want the thokku to be spicy)
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 2 tbsp oil
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes with tamarind.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal. Fry till they sizzle and pop.
- Now add chopped ginger and fry till the raw smell of the ginger disappears.
- Add the curry leaves and red chili. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, hing and red chili powder. Fry for 1-2 second.
- All the frying should be done on a low flame, so that the spices do not get burnt.
- Mix in the tomato-tamarind paste.
- Stir the mixture well. Season with salt.
- Simmer on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, store tomato thokku in a clean, dry, airtight jar.
- Tomato Thokku can be kept in the refrigerator and stored for 4-5 days.