Matar Kachori Recipe is Flaky pastries filled with spicy goodness!
Kachori is supposed to have originated in Uttar Pradesh or Rajasthan. In these states it is usually a round flattened ball made of fine flour filled with a stuffing of baked mixture of yellow moong dal or Urad Dal (crushed and washed horse beans), besan (crushed and washed gram flour), black pepper, red chili powder, salt and other spices.
Serves : 3
Prep&Cook Time : 1 hr.
- 1 cup all purpose flour/maida
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- ¼ cup warm water
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- ¼ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- ½ tsp fennel powder/saunf pwder
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp amchur powder/dry mango powder
- ½ tsp green chili-ginger paste or crushed or minced (use about ¼ inch of ginger and ½ or 1 green chili and crush in a mortar & pestle)
- ¼ tsp cumin/jeera
- 1 tbsp besan or gram flour
- 2 tsp oil or ghee
- salt as required
- 2 to 3 cups oil
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Now add oil.
- Form a breadcrumb like consistency
- Now knead the dough. Cover with cloth and keep aside.
- Boil the peas.
- Once the peas are done, mash them.
- In a pan add some oil.
- Once oil is heated add cumin and fry. Once they splutter and the crushed ginger and green chilli.
- Fry for a minute. Add the dry spice powders. and salt.
- Stir well.
- Now, add the gram fliur and saute for about 2 or 3 minutes.
- using the dough make equal sized balls about 5-6.
- Now roll them into a 3 or 4 inched round.
- Add the stuffing to the center of the rolled dough. Brush some water on the edges.
- Bring together the edges and pinch them together.
- Prepare all matar kachoris the same way. keep the kachoris covered with a wet cloth.
- now heat oil. at medium flame, fry the kachoris till they become golden, flaky and crisp.
- serve matar kachori hot with some coriander chutney or tamarind chutney.