Keerai masiyal is a south Indian Tamilnadu style recipe. It is a spinach recipe where you would mash the spinach very well and add some ingredients.The word mashiyal means something that is mashed, and keerai/cheera means spinach.This is a really simple spinach recipe.
Serves : 2
Prep&Cook Time : 20 mis.
- 2 bunches or 2 cups tightly packed Keera
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/jeera seeds
- 1/2 tsp for thickening of Rice flour
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp of Mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp of Urad dal
- 2 Red chillies
- a pinch of Hing
- Wash the kerai and chop finely.
- Place a pressure pan or small pressure cooker over medium heat and add the kerai, cumin seeds and 1/4 cup of water.
- Pressure cook for one whistle and switch off.
- Wait five minutes and then open the cooker.
- Mash the kerai well and add salt to taste.
- Strain if any excess water
- If you like it more thick add the 1/2 cup of rice flour
- In a seperate pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds when hot.
- when it pops, add urad dal, red chilli and hing. When the dal turns brown add to kerai and stir well.